The EMG Playwriting Workshop was founded in January, 2004 by playwright Elana Gartner. Its purpose is to foster a creative and supportive community of playwrights. We meet once a week, on Mondays, from 6:30-8pm, in the living rooms of members, and read aloud short scenes of members' new work, then provide constructive criticism for each other.
If you are interested in becoming a member, please contact Elana by e-mail; send a short cover letter and two short samples of your work as a playwright.
- must be over 21
- must live in NYC or be able to commute to NYC weekly
- must be a playwright or have written at least one play
- must be available to attend meetings on Monday evenings from 6:30pm-8pm regularly
- Q: Do you accept screenwriters or TV writers into your group?
A: If they have written a play and are interested in developing stage scripts in the group, yes. If they are only interested in writing screenplays or TV scripts moving forward, no.
- Q: Does your group do performances?
A: We have performed together in festivals and may perform together in the future.
- Q: How did the playwrights in the group find out about it?
A: Through postings on college listservs, theater listservs, and through friends.
- Q: Are most of the members from New York City?
A: No. We hail from Florida, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania.
- Q: Can directors attend monthly sessions?
A: We have traditionally not had directors attend monthly sessions. But it is up to the discretion of the playwright whose work is being read.
Once a month one member may present a full piece, and may bring in performers to better realize his or her work. We most often cast from a pool of actors who we already know, but if you are interested in being considered for future readings, please e-mail headshots and resumes Here.